Thursday, October 24, 2013

My name is Introvert. I’m not Anti-Social or Shy, but they are my close friends. I enjoy being alone. I feel the most energized, creative, and happy this way.

Most don’t understand me. Extrovert is always chatting, laughing, and smiling. He says, “C’mon, Introvert! Loosen up!” I’m not frightened like Shy, or nervous like Anxious, or even avoidant like Anti-Social. I’m just… me.

I like conversation. Sit with me and Content in a quiet coffee shop and talk about travel, music, literature, or art. Ask me where I’ve been and what I’ve seen. Ask me what I think. I like hiking and exploring with Adventurous, and enjoy watching the sun rise or set with Peaceful.

Don’t take me to the club with Partier. I can’t help but see all the details, consider all the smells, and feel all the loud bass beats. I have to decipher and analyze everything around me. It’s just my nature, and it’s exhausting.

When you “hang out” with me, don’t be bothered by silence. For me, it’s as natural as sound. In fact, sometimes I prefer it. It doesn’t mean I’m bored, it means I’m comfortable enough to be around you without the need to make meaningless small talk. Otherwise, I’d just walk away.

Don’t rush me. I spend a lot of time thinking. I think about what to say, what to do, how to do it, which one to buy, what to wear, why one is better or worse, short term benefits, long term goals, costs, bills, and a dozen other things all before breakfast. I may be quiet...

but my mind is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment